Thursday 10 March 2011

Perennial herbs bed

Perennial herbs bed just planted
I was busy digging and planting last weekend. This raised bed was planted with flowers, but I decided I needed the space for growing perennial and edible herbs instead and the flowers had to go. Luckily I found a happy new home for them in the garden of my friends Stuart and Rachel, so nothing was wasted! There were some nice lilies, daffodils, croscomias, a cineraria and even a jasmine, I wasn't going to throw that lot away... and they needed some colour and fun for their garden, so everybody wins.

After refilling the bed and adding garden compost, I first planted the herbs I already had - what you can see in the photo. The big plant on the left is the sweet rocket, on the right far corner (you can only see the white label) is a meadowsweet (filipendula ulmaria), and at the front is a bunch of chives. Under the plastic I sowed some sorrel, and I'm growing some parsely indoors to plant there too. When the weather is warmer I want to sow red perilla, I bought the seeds last Christmas but never grew it before!

El fin de semana pasado tuve mucho que plantar y cavar. La jardinera de la foto tenia flores, pero necesitaba el espacio para plantar plantas comestibles perennes asi que decidi trasladar las flores. Por suerte les encontre un nuevo hogar en el jardin de mis amigos Stuart y Rachel, que querian poner flores. No tenian nada, y ahora gracias a mi proyecto, se han ganado unos lirios orientales, narcisos, lirios japonicos y hasta un jazmin! 


En la jardinera, tras rellenar con compost, he plantado primero las plantas que ya tenia: la hesperis matronalis es la planta mas grande en la esquina izquierda, en la esquina de la derecha (solo se ve la etiqueta blanca) hay una filipendula ulmaria, y en el centro delante un manojo de cebollinos. Tapado con las botellas de plastico he sembrado sorrel, que (segun los libros) es parecido a la espinaca - las hojas pequenas se comen crudas en ensalada y si las dejas crecer las puedes cocinar, y tengo perejil en macetas en casa ya germinado y casi listo para plantar. Tambien tengo unas semillas de perilla, que yo no la habia visto (mucho menos sembrado) nunca y que tambien iran aqui, pero cuando el tiempo mejore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment