Wednesday 23 March 2011

Scavenged pallet

Reclaimed pallet from children's centre next door
It may not look much, but I'm very proud that I obtained this pallet, and I have great plans for the wood! This had been left as rubbish in the back of the children's centre we have next door for years - I could see it from my bathroom window! But the back of the building was fenced off and locked, so I could get my hands on it (also, it's private property...). So when I got a letter from the facilities manager of the centre last week informing me they were going to put a scaffolding in exactly the same bit at the back of the building, I called her and asked if I could have that pallet... and she said yes! And more astonishingly, this week she remembered to tell the builders and they very kindly left it on my front garden!

As you can see it's damaged on one side (the wood has rotten), but the rest is in good condition. I intend to un-nail the boards, saw off the rotten bits, and construct a small raised bed for the allotment. I've never done this before, let's hope the end result doesn't disappoint!

Este pales (he tenido que mirar en un diccionario como se traduce del ingles "pallet") a primera vista no dice mucho, pero tiene historia: estaba abandonado en la parte de atras de la oficina que tenemos al lado de casa, desde la ventana del bano lo veia triste y solo todos los dias pero como estaba en propiedas privada (y ademas sin facil acceso) no podia "agenciarmelo"... Hasta que la semana pasada me llego una carta del centro avisando que iban a poner un andamio justo en esa parte del edificio, asi que llame a la encargada y le pregunte inocentemente si, ya que iban a estar los obreros alli, si me podian poner el pales delante de casa, ya que estamos al lado... y para mi sorpresa dijo que si! Y mejor aun, se acordo de decirselo a los obreros esta semana, y cuando llegue a casa tuve la fantastica sorpresa: lo habian dejado en la puerta de casa! 


Las maderas en uno de los lados estan un poco podridas, asi que tendre que serrar esos trozos. Pero si consigo quitar los clavos y separar las tablas, mis planes son construir una jardinera baja para la huerta. Nunca trabaje con un pales como este, asi que sera un experimento!

1 comment:

  1. Maravillosos palés (es lo que se acabó popularizando, palé en singular), que acaban pudriendo por las esquinas. En la finca tenemos tres. En las patatas tienes otro post comment.

    ReplyDelete