Monday 31 January 2011

Compost is turned and ready

I turned my compost yesterday. I now it's not something glamorous and only a compost geek like myself gets excited about it. But I've been anticipating this moment since well before Christmas, and Sunday was finally C day!

My compost bin is homemade and has two compartments. One is in use for dumping all the usual suspects (veg peels, bunny litter, weeds), while the other one "cooks" until it's ready to use on the garden soil. What happened on Sunday was that the fresh pile was full to the top and the one with ready-to-use compost was almost empty. I took out the rest of the ready compost (it's in bags waiting to be used in the spring), and then I decanted the fresh compost into the other, now empty, bin. I stopped when I got to the deeper strata of ready compost (its darker). This has several benefits:

1. It keeps me entertained and doing some exercise out of the house
2. It aireates the compost (oxygen speeds up decomposition)
3. I can add water in between the layers of compost (another accelerator)
4. It reveals the older and ready compost underneath

I didn't technically turned this darker compost. It is almost ready, and I don't have a third bin to decant it into. What I did instead was plunge the pitch fork here and there and give it a wriggle, and I hope that by making these holes and letting air in the decomposition in March will be complete. The compost is a bit compact but spongy, really nice texture, I had lots of fun with the fork!

So now I have plenty of space in the fresh compost pile, and lots of fantastic garden compost for when I start planting this spring. Beautiful.

El domingo estuve aireando el compost. Mi contenedor de compost tiene dos compartimentos: uno lo tengo en uso diario (deshechos vegetales de la cocina, el heno y el serrin de los conejos, hojas y malas hierbas), y el otro tiene el compost mas antiguo que esta o bien mas avanzado o ya listo para usar.

Ultimamente la caja de uso diario se habia llenado tanto que ya casi no podia cerrar la tapa, y la otra caja estaba casi vacia. Asi que acabe de vaciar el compost que ya estaba listo en la segunda caja (lo tengo en bolsas esperando la primavera), y pase el compost fresco a la caja que quedo vacia (pare cuando llegue a las capas mas antiguas, que ya estan listas para usar). Esto tiene varias ventajas:

1.       Me entretiene y hago ejercicio al aire libre
2.       Airea el compost (el oxigeno ayuda a la decomposicion)
3.       Permite echar agua entre capas de compost (tambien ayuda a activar el proceso)
4.       He dejado al descubierto un monton de compost que ya esta casi listo

El compost que esta casi listo lo deje donde estaba. En parte porque no tengo una tercera caja a donde pasarlo, y en parte porque es bastante y pesa. De todas formas, para asegurarme de que esta perfecto en marzo (que es cuando empezare a plantar de nuevo y me hara falta compost), hice agujeros con el pincho para que entre aire. La consistencia es esponjosa, lo pase pipa!

1 comment:

  1. Viva la modernidad¡ Mi sistema de amontonar las hojas caidas es mas primitivo, pero a su manera se va haciendo poco a poco. La naturaleza no tiene prisa. Lo peor es que tengo muchas hojas caidas... Enhorabuena hija, cuando se te pase el nervio del nuevo trtabajo ya tendremos mas calor y horas de luz. Esperamos nos informes.

    ReplyDelete