Tuesday 8 February 2011

Sowing in early February

I'm glad to report my seedlings from last month, despite being so early, are still alive and growing. Mostly. The heated propagator worked better for some things than others. It worked to sprout the tomatoes, I got seedlings in only one week! But I moved them to the windowsill within days to prevent them from rotting in the humidity of the propagator, and they're holding on there.

The lettuce seedlings weren't that lucky, the ones on the propagator all collapsed (I wasn't quick enough to move them outside). The ones sprouted on the yogurt pot on the window, however, are growing strong (what a pleasant surprise). Proof that it's always good to try several methods when you're not sure how it's going to turn out! (eggs in different baskets and all that).

So, with the tomatoes moved and the lettuce gone, I had space for new sowings. On the propagator I have put two chillis: 'fatalii' and a purple one from seed I saved last year; red salvia and lobelia (ornamental).

In a basket inside a plastic bag and next to a radiator (another experiment) I have a few pots of cauliflower seed, and a few broad bean 'aquadulce'. And spurred by the success of the yogurt pot I've sowed some more salad leaves, and a pot of pimientos de Padron (a Galician chilli pepper) on the windowsill.

Outside, I have sown a pot of radish under a plastic cloche (a plastic bottle cut out), and a few more broad beans directly in the ground. I'm very curious to see how these go, I never sow outside so early...

It's very exciting checking the pots every day, as I am trying most of these things for the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment