Saturday 16 October 2010

My strawberry tree (arbutum, o madroño)

I was doing the round of the garden this morning during a rare moment of sunshine, which allowed me to take this photo. There's not much going on at the moment in terms of showy colours (sadly, all my autumn leaves are all fallen now), but this plant still cheers me up every time:

My strawberry tree (arbutum, o madroño in Spanish). This is one of the very first plants Nick and I bought for the garden, mostly on the basis that it had a persistent bumblebee around it and we thought it was cute. I also like it because it reminds me of my parents' house in Spain (they have a massive one!). However, the fruits on my one are much sweeter (sorry dad). I've also learnt that it flowers at the same time as the fruit from last year ripens - about this time of the year. If you look in the photo, you can see the tiny flowers towards the bottom of the plant, and of course the gorgeous autum colours of the fruit (it turns red when ripe).

Aqui esta mi madroño. Si, es pequeño (esta en una maceta) pero maton: es una de mis plantas preferidas del jardin. Nick y yo lo compramos al poco de comprar la casa, en uno de los primeros viajes al vivero. Todavia era invierno y hacia frio, pero ya debia de acercarse la primavera porque recuerdo que un abejorro no dejaba de darle vueltas a la planta. A Nick y a mi nos hicieron gracia tanto la planta como el accesorio (abejorro) y la compramos. Y yo tambien le tengo mucho cariño porque me recuerda a la casa de mis padres - ellos tienen uno enorme en el campo! En esta epoca del año ya no quedan muchas flores, y mis arboles (arbustillos mas bien) ya han perdido las hojas, asi que el madroño luce en todo su esplendor y colores. Si os fijais bien, en la parte baja de la planta veis unas flores blancas en racimo; el arbol florece al mismo tiempo que la fruta del año pasado madura (yo eso no lo sabia). Si, la fruta esta casi un año entero en el arbol! Se pone roja cuando madura, aunque no vereis muchas en la foto porque me las he comido casi todas... (las mias son mas dulces que las de mis padres!).

No comments:

Post a Comment