Tuesday 28 September 2010

Marrow and ginger jam

Last week I made my first-ever jam, and from fruit I grew myself no less! I used the second of the marrows that we got this year (1.5kg exactly, just like the recipe asks for :-). I tried to follow this recipe below (which I googled), but I think I something went wrong because I got less than 2kg of the stuff! It's tasty stuff, anyway, so I'm not going to complain...

Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:

3 lb (1.5 kg) marrow

1 lb (500 g) cooking apples

2 oz (50 g) root ginger

Juice of 2 lemons (or 4 tablespoons of bottled Lemon Juice)

3 lb (1.5 kg) jam sugar



Method:

Peel the marrow, discard the seeds and cut into cubes.Peel and core the apples and cut the flesh into cubes.Place in pan and steam until tender and then mash.Add the lemon juice.Bruise the root ginger and wrap in a piece of muslin and place in the pan.Add the sugar, simmer and stir until dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally as the pulp thickens and setting point is reached.Pot into hot sterilized jars immediately and cover.Makes about 4 lbs (2 kg) of jam.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really nice Raquel. I did not get any marrows this year (or many courgettes) apparently the hot spring is not good for them.

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete