Tuesday 26 March 2013

Germination test for parsnips

The fist batch of parsnips I sowed at the beginning of March were not a suceess: out of six seeds, one in each plastic cell on the window sill, only one sprouted. The seed packet is new, other things are sprouting happily in the same propagator, and the packet said to plant from March so it shouldn't be too cold/dark; therefore, it must be that parsnips are particularly fickle.

Since I don't have unlimited space for underused plastic seedling trays, this time I'm going to use the system described here: http://vegpatchblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/this-weather-is-now-getting-boring.html .

This way, I make sure that only good seeds get sown in the plastic cells. Parsnip seeds may be fickle but at least they're easy to handle!I do like roasted parsnips, so hopefully I'll get more than a crop of one this year. Here's my own seeds from this morning, covered in cling film and resting on the wet paper:


Hace un mes sembre 6 semillas de chirivia, de las cuales solo una germino. Para evitar acabar con bandejas de compost y solo una o dos plantitas, que mi espacio no es ilimitado, esta vez voy a mirar primero cuales de las semillas estan vivas, y solo sembrar las que han germinado en el papel mojado.

Lei en otro blog que las semillas de chirivia varian mucho y no todas germinan, lo cual explica por que a mi se me dieron tan mal. El paquete de semilla era nuevo, y en la misma ventana otras semillas si que se dan! Por lo menos, son semillas grandes y faciles de ver. Las he puesto en este plato en la ventana, cubiertas con film de plastico para que no se sequen. A mi las chirivias asadas me encantan, asi que a ver si este ano tengo cosecha.

No comments:

Post a Comment