Sunday 11 September 2011

Tansy (Tanacetum Vulgaris)

Flowers of tansy (tanacetum vulgaris) and a butterfly/moth
I bought a tansy plant in spring, for the only reason that it was in the herbs section of my garden centre, it was cheap, and it was the only herb they had at the time that I didn't have already. And the label said it had yellow flowers, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I have since researched the plant, and I've learn a few more things about this super-plant: first of all, although the flowers may have been eaten in the past in small amounts (I suppose that's the reason they put it with other 'herbs'), the leaves are actually toxic if you eat too much.  So I don't think I'll be eating these - I have enough non-controversial vegetables growing.

The flowers, apart from pretty - and popular with the nectar-eating insect population, when dry can be used to make a spray that repels aphids, and it can also be used as companion planting for the same reason (I put mine next to the tomatoes, just in case). And finally, the leaves are apparently a very good fertiliser and rich in potasium (I think it was).

This plant is perennial and they recommend chopping it to the ground at the end of the summer, so I've just done that (apart from this branch that had the flowers) and put the chopped leaves at the base of my autumn-fruiting raspberries, which will hopefully appreciate the extra potassium and decide to produce some flowers.

Esta planta se llama tanacetum vulgaris. La compre porque estaba con las hierbas aromaticas en la tienda y todas las demas ya las tenia en casa. La vendian como comestible, pero despues de investigar en casa he descubierto varias cosas: para empezar, las hojas son comestibles solo en pequenas cantidades, porque son toxicas. Asi que ya esta fuera de mi lista de comestibles, pues tengo muchas mas plantas que no son toxicas y me sobran para comer. 


Las flores supuestamente repelen el pulgon: o bien por plantarlas al lado de las cosechas que quieres proteger, o tambien puedes secar las flores y hacer un espray casero. Y a las abejas y las polillas/mariposas (como la de la foto) les encanta. Por ultimo, las hojas dicen que tienen un monton de minerales y puedes hacer un "caldo" fertilizante o simplemente ponerlas al pie de las plantas. 


Es perenne y dicen que la puedes podar hasta el suelo al final del verano, que es justo lo que he hecho yo (excepto la rama de la foto con las flores, que las deje porque son muy bonitas), las hojas que pode las he puesto al pie de las frambuesas - a ver si me dan otra cosecha en otono.

2 comments:

  1. ¿Y donde tienes sitio para tanta mercancía?. Ese si que es un buen puzzle, acomodarlas todas sin que se pisen unas a otras. Esta si que es bonita, espectacular...¿y durará asi todo el invierno?...en la foto no se mustia...En el monte pasé arado en el borde de la subida (rampa) a la terraza. Después le pondré algo que florezca en febrero y marzo para los cumpleaños.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que bien! Tu tambien trabajas... Planta narcisos, que se dan por esas fechas y se plantan ahora...

    ReplyDelete