Sunday 4 September 2011

Tomato blight, and late-summer tidy up

Saturday was so warm and sunny, it didn't feel at all like we're already in late summer and we need to start preparing for the autumn. Late summer can bring nice days like yesterday, but it's also tomato blight season... And my plants sadly caught it really badly. It came so quick! In literally days the plants went from healthy to covered in brown splotches and wilting leaves. I had to take out all of the plants, which was very sad because I've barely had time to eat any ripe home-grown tomatoes this year. Next year, definitely one crop for the allotment! In the space left by the tomatoes I've sown spinach, radish and parsley, which in theory should give a crop during the autumn.

Tomato plants affected by blight
This cage protecting my kale and tree cabbage from the pigeons and caterpillars (in theory) was too low, so I've made a new taller one. I kept the long branch of nasturtiums though, I can see it from the kitchen and it is so cheerful!

Scrambling flowering nasturtium
In the bed next to the kale and cabbage there's a similar cage with sprouting broccoli, a courgette and a chard plant.  I cleared a space next to them, but I'm waiting until these seedlings are bit bigger before planting them out. I don't want to wait too late and plant them when it's too cold, but bigger plants will (hopefully) resist the slug attack better.

Seedlings in trays awaiting autumn planting

1 comment:

  1. Yo ayer compré otra docena de plantas de Asa de cántaro (Berza branca galega) para reponer tres que habían fallado con lo que quedan 21, y además 6+6 lechugas(de dos clases) para tener algo para el otoño...Y sin llover intensamente...ANIMO LABRADORA

    ReplyDelete