Tuesday 5 July 2011

First raspberries

Raspberries on last summer's cane

These were the first raspberries from my own plants, before I ate them! I planted the canes last summer, and they're supposed to be autumn fruiting. But these were early fruits on last summer's canes, which I didn't prune to the ground when I planted. I think the trick is in the pruning: if you leave the canes standing, they fruit early (summer, about now); but if you cut them down, you get new canes that grow during spring and summer and fruit in the autumn. So what you do is you prune only half of your canes every autumn, to get crops in summer and autumn next year - well, at least that's the theory I've read. My plants have new canes growing, let's hope I get more raspberries in the autumn because they are delicious!

Estas frambuesas duraron en la planta lo justo para sacar la foto. Las plante el ano pasado a principios de otono, y estas frutas han salido de las canas que plante. Tambien han salido ramas nuevas, y en teoria en otono deberia de tener una segunda cosecha de frambuesas en las ramas nuevas. A ver si la teoria funciona! Este otono podare las ramas del ano pasado y dejare las que han crecido este, y asi el proximo verano tendre frambuesas en verano y en otono otra vez.

1 comment:

  1. Cuidado con ellas ¡no comas muchas...¡JoJo...
    Lo que no me queda claro es el sistema de reprodución.Ya me lo contarás en email...Lo que si queda claro por la foto es que no son dela zarza americana...

    ReplyDelete