Sunday 17 July 2011

Borage flowers in ice cubes

Borage flowers
I sowed my borage in early spring, and even in my shady garden it has done well and is now covered in pretty blue flowers. I have heard that you could eat the young leaves - apparently they have a cucumber taste! - but I didn't have the heart to strip my young plants out of leaves. However, I also read somewhere that the flowers are edible, and because of the cucumberish taste you can add them to your summer pimms for a touch of colour and flavour. So, to combine flower preservation with use in drinks, I have made these ice cubes, they look amazing! I can't wait to see them in a glass of pimm's :-)

Sembre semilla de borago officinalis a principio de primavera, y se ha dado bien incluso en mi jardin sombrio. Estan llenos de estas flores azules tan bonitas. He leido que las hojas tiernas se pueden comer, tiene un sabor que recuerda al pepino, pero a mi me dio pena pelar las plantitas y las deje crecer. Las flores tambien son comestibles, asi que he decidido conservar unas cuantas... en cubitos de hielo, para poner en cocteles veraniegos! 



1 comment:

  1. Las borrajas se comen mucho en la Rioja, Aragón y cercanías, por eso allí se encuentran a la venta. Cuando pasamos por alli de Camping, las vimos en el mercado, las llevamos, cocimos y COMIMOS. Estaban muy ricas. Eran unos atados de la parte de los tallos frescos, como si fueran GRELOS- Pero esa coquetería de la flor...¡¡¡
    ¿Están ya cocidas?

    ReplyDelete