Sunday 7 November 2010

Garlic and compost are in / Ajos y compost

This year's garlic crop. Los ajos de este año.
I planted my garlic today. Garlic needs to be planted now to give best results next year (according to my grandmother, by St Martin's day on the 11th November. I think I got close enough...), so the nasturtiums and the remains of the runner beans that were in the raised bed had to go. The nasturtium flowers were still looking pretty, it was a bit sad having to pull them up; but gardening can be ruthless sometimes :-).

Last year's garlic didn't do too well (the heads were so small they didn't even split into cloves), but we're still eating it! So this season I'm planting some again, and hopefully with improved soil we'll get an improved crop next summer.

I went for garlic 'Illico', a hardneck variety from the Dobies catalogue which I chose because it says it's very early-maturing - so hopefully I will have space for planting more summer crops after I pick the garlic in June! (when space is at a premium, you become sensitive to this sort of thing). Also, on a trip to my local garden centre last week I found two cloves of elephant garlic, so I'm giving it a go this year for the first time! I haven't even tried the taste (we may hate it!) so it's a totally blind experiment, but it's well worth the space in the soil if only because trying new things is fun...

The soil in this bed is quite appalling (heavy clay, and after a year of producing vegetables probably not many nutrients left), so I added some homemade compost from earlier in the year. I had a moral dilemma, though, as all sort of garden creatures are supposed to be hibernating in compost heaps and I felt bad about vandalising their refuge; but in the end the garlic won.


Hoy plante los ajos. Como decia mi abuela, "ajo: por que naciste ruin? porque no me plantaste en San Martin", asi que los mios los he plantado lo mas cerca posible del 11 de noviembre. La jardinera donde los he puesto tenia todavia los restos de unas judias y unos nasturtiums, que son anuales y ya estan en el compost, y unas acelgas que alli siguen (en teoria aguantan el invierno). Los ajos del año pasado fueron bastante raquiticos, pero creo que fue por culpa del suelo (que no por la fecha de plantacion. Obviamente.) Pero aun los estamos comiendo, asi que tengo esperanza en los de este año.

Elegi una variedad de ajo temprana, 'Illico', que con suerte estara madura a finales de junio asi que me quedara el espacio libre para plantar mas cosas el resto del verano, cuando coseche los ajos en junio (cuando no tienes mucho espacio, tienes que fijarte en estos detalles). Y, aunque no es propiamente ajo, he plantado tambien dos dientes de Allium ampeloprasum var. ampeloprasum que segun Wikipedia se llama "ajo elefante" en español pero yo no lo habia oido nunca! Solo he plantado dos dientes, asi que tampoco ocupan demasiado espacio; es un experimento total porque ni siquiera se si nos gustara el sabor, pero siempre es divertido probar cosas nuevas!

El suelo no es muy bueno, es arcilloso y muy compactado y ademas seguro que esta empobrecido despues de un año seguido dando fruto, asi que le añadi compost casero. Tuve un dilema moral con el compost: por un lado, sabia que el terreno lo necesitaba, pero por otro hay muchos bichos beneficiosos que hibernan en las montones de compost y me daba pena vandalizarles el refugio. Pero al final el ajo gano la batalla.

2 comments:

  1. En estas latitudes el veranillo de San Martin no ha llegado todavía Está lloviendo. Esperaremos a que pare y !a cavar! (de sacho no de terminar).Gracias por las informaciones, después compartiremos los resultados.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya tenemos sol, esperemos que el ajo no sea ruin porque lo plantaremos en S.Martín, y ya que de bulbos se trata tambien iran narcisos y jacintos.

    ReplyDelete