Tuesday 6 March 2012

Potatoes chitting at the allotment

These are my seed potatoes for 2012. They are currently chitting (sprouting) in the plastic greenhouse - what a grand name for such a modest contraption, which I've moved to the allotment (photos of that coming soon!). On my way home tonight I'm going to cover them with some bubble wrap plastic recycled from the office, it'd help protect them in case of frost - which would kill them. They can be planted just before Easter, when soil is warmer (and I've had some time to dig it over first!).

They look really cute at the moment, I have 6 of each of these varieties:

• Sharpe's Express, very early - harvest from end June
• Cosmos, early type - harvest from July. This ones I got from an Abel & Cole veg box, the biggest potato I cut into 3 pieces all with growing eyes... I heard you can propagate them like that, but it's an experiment!
• Maris Pier, second early - harvest from end July
• Sante, another Abel & Cole experiment. This one is a maincrop, so ready to harvest in September (if the blight doesn't get to it first!)
• Highland Burgundy Red, another maincrop but I grow this one for the novelty: it has RED FLESH, I can't wait to see this! :)

1 comment:

  1. el periódico de Ourense dice hoy que las potatoes están muy ricas asadas con su monda en el microondas máximo de potencia dos minutos y medio, mañana lo pruebo y ya te lo contaré, Cariñosmáximos para ti.

    ReplyDelete