Thursday 15 March 2012

Early sowing of peas - in loo rolls


Early pea variety 'Kelvedon' can be sown from beginning of March
While I finish (er, start, even) digging the soil to make it ready for sowing seeds directly into it, I am sowing seeds in trays.  The idea is that I will finish with the soil preparation over the next 3 weeks, and then have little plants in the trays ready to transplant into the soil - and therefore I should have my first crop an extra 3 or 4 weeks early. 

A lot of seeds, and definitely these peas, could be sown directly into good soil from March onwards, you don't need to use trays or a greenhouse.  But because I only inherited the plot at the beginning of March, I simply don't have the time to dig the whole thing any quicker, and my green fingers get itchy - I can't wait to start sowing!

Other things I have sown into trays (5th March), currently sprouting in the plastic greenhouse:
Lollo rossa, little gem, chard 'bright lights', Chinese cabbage, red cabbage, calendula, tagetes, borage, purple cauliflower, spring onion, leek, sweet pea.

Mientras termino (o mas bien empiezo) de cavar el terreno y prepararlo para siembra directa, estoy haciendo semilleros en bandejas. Estos guisantes son una variedad temprana que se se puede sembrar a partir de principios de marzo, pero como veis mi suelo aun esta cubierto de hierbas asi que siembro en los rollos de papel. El plan es dentro de tres semanas tener suelo limpio y plantitas listas para transplantar.

Otras cosas que he sembrado la semana pasada en bandejas, y que estan brotando en el invernadero de plastico:  lechuga 'lollo rossa' y 'little gem' (una roja y otra verde), acelga multicolor, repollo chino, lombarda, calendula, tagetes, borrago, coliflor morada, cebolletas, puerros, y una flor que en latin se llama 'lathyrus odoratus' y en ingles 'sweet pea' pero el nombre en espanol no lo recuerdo.

1 comment: