Tuesday 24 May 2011

Flowers I won't grow from seed again

I have been trying to grow wallflowers and foxgloves from seed since last year (they're biennials: you sow them in summer, they grow over the autumn and winter and - in theory - flower the following spring). And, I have to confess, they have been a disappointment: I got lots of leaves.... but no flowers! I almost expected it from the wallflowers (they like full sun, which I don't have), but... foxgloves? They're supposed to like the shade!

Wallflower (leaves) and small foxglove plants (in copper rings)

But all I got was some leaves, and they aren't even very big ones. And many got eaten by the snails. I've been watching the Chelsea Flower Show on the BBC and I have foxglove envy. I think perhaps it's because I've grown them in pots and only transplanted them into the ground a couple of months ago? They may just be slow, and flower later in the year? I'm going to leave them, but if by the summer I still have no flowers I don't think I'll bother with sowing them again. I got a plant from the garden centre last year (much bigger and already in bloom) and it kept the flower for some weeks, so I may do that instead and reserve my sowing and potting time for vegetables, which are much more grateful (in general). And I only have space for a few flowers, so it won't break the bank.

Hay dos flores que sembre el ano pasado y que deberian estar en flor ahora (son bianuales), pero que han sido un fiasco: alhelies amarillos y digitalis. En la foto veis que los alhelies solo han producido hojas (eso si, muy frondosas) y las digitalis ni siquiera eso: sin flores y raquiticas. En teoria se deberian de dar bien, porque les gusta la sombra. A lo mejor es porque las sembre en maceta y solo las puse en el suelo hace un par de meses? Las voy a dejar hasta el verano, pero si siguen sin dar flores no creo que la vuelva a sembrar este ano. El ano pasado compre una planta, ya en flor, y se dio bien, asi que reservo los semilleros para verduras y cosas que se me dan mejor - solo tengo sitio para unas pocas plantas, en todo caso, asi que no me voy a arruinar por comprarlas en el vivero.

1 comment:

  1. los alhelies son bastante caprichosos para florecer. Los de Carmen del monte son un ejemplo: Acaban de florecer unos que estan en una rueda al lado del arco. de momento flor mínima. Y en una maceta que trajo de Villaralbo hay tres plantas , que ya venían crecidas pero se pusieron a dormir...Si despiertan ya lo verás cuando llegues. Paciencia con las tus flores.

    ReplyDelete