Monday 15 August 2011

My onion harvest

Crop of onion 'stuttgarter'

I finally harvested my onions yesterday. It had been dry for a few days, so the onions shouldn't be too wet - they need to be dried before you store them, to avoid them rotting or getting mouldy. The soil at the allotment is so heavy that some of the onion stems snapped when I was pulling the onions out, but most of them kept their stems. With the longer stems I have made two plaits and the rest I simply bunched up and tied together, as you can see in the photo. They're all hanging from the ceiling in the shed now, waiting to be cooked!

Ayer toco osecha de cebollas. Llevaba sin llover un par de dias, asi que las cebollas estaban secas. Y ahora que las he colgado del techo de la caseta se mantendran secas y, si todo sale bien,  nos duraran unos cuantos meses. La tierra de la huerta es muy dura, y al tirar de las cebollas algunos de los tallos se rompieron; pero con todas las demas he trenzado las dos ristras y los dos manojos que veis en la foto. Ya tenemos cebollas en la despensa para cocinar!

1 comment:

  1. Vaya cebollas de la tierra prometida! cuidado no lloréis mucho

    ReplyDelete