Wednesday 22 June 2011

Introducing Ploppy the frog

First sighting of Ploppy the frog

Finaly, after weeks of hearing evidence of frog activity (a 'plop' when I approached the pond to remove fallen leaves), today I have had visual confirmation that the pond has a resident frog. We called her Ploppy because she goes 'plop', and we have a bunny called Poppy so we thought it was funny. Poppy and Ploppy. Yeah, it's not very funny, but too late now: the frog is Ploppy now. She's smaller than Gustavo, the frog I saw last summer. She was hiding under a small rotting log I put by the side of the water, under an astilbe plant. The astilbe shows sign or rust of some kind of fungal infection on the leaves, but I can't spray it with the usual anti-fungal chemical spray because it's harmful to aquatic life. I'd rather have the frog and lose a plant, at least the plant I can buy from a shop. The frog is special, she is there because she chose to. I liked looking at her in the pond and think that she had all of that realm to swim about. It looked more complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment