Sunday 7 July 2013

June away: the aftermath

So, this year I broke a cardinal gardening rule and took a long holiday in the middle of June. Right when the weeds grow at their strongest. I had an amazing holiday in Peru, so I don't regret it, but coming home after three weeks away (we landed on a Sunday and I couldn't go to until the next weekend) I found this:

Asi estaba a la huerta despues de las vacaciones en Peru:



After two weekends of weeding, I have managed to pull most of the weeds and clear the good plants. Y asi esta tras dos fines de semana quitando malas hierbas:



But it's not all bad. The strawberries do better when protected by surrounding plants. Pero no todo son males. Las fresas se dan mejor con proteccion de otras plantas alrededor:



And the raspberries are too tall even for the weeds. A las frambuesas tampoco le afectan:



But the best thing are the lettuces, thanks to my plot neighbours thar watered them while I was away. Lo mejor, las lechugas, gracias a mis vecinos de parcela que las regaron estas semanas:

No comments:

Post a Comment